If you ever applied for a job some companies instruct you to submit a resume while some other ask for a CV (Curriculum Vitae). Have you ever wondered what is the difference between CV and Resume ?
Broad difference is that a resume is a short description of your skill set usually one or two pages in length while a CV is a much detailed explanation of your work experience, skill set, educational qualification, references etc that can extend upto 10 pages.
The following table explains best about the difference between a resume and a CV
Image Courtesy : difference.guru
- Curriculum Vitae is the overview of your academic and professional Background wheres Resume is the description or sums up of relevant skills and talents that you have.
- Curriculum Vitae can be about four to maximum ten pages, but the resume is traditionally made not exceeding two pages.
- Curriculum vitae can be written in Chronological order, on the other hand, the Resume should be written in reverse chronological order.
- Curriculum Vitae contains details of your educational background and work experience, honors, awards, scholarships, grants, theses, published works and skills, whereas Resume explains your biography, contact details, educational background, relevant skills, and job experience. These shows that Curriculum Vitae is more vast in terms of the information it contains and size than a Resume.
- A curriculum vitae follows the same format no matter which job you are applying for, but the format of resume may be changed regarding the job you are applying for.
A CV includes details of your educational background and work experience such as completed courses or programs, honors, awards, scholarships, grants, theses, published works, skills, certifications, licenses, exhibitions, lectures, presentations, research or laboratory experience, international exposure, association memberships, etc. The details of each item are written in chronological order. The content of your CV does not have to be changed regardless of the position you are applying for.
A resume includes your biography, contact details, educational background, relevant skills, and job experience. These are usually listed in reverse chronological order. The contents can be changed according to the position you are applying for
If you are not sure which document to send in job application, it’s always better to ask for a clarification. Also when handing over a hard copy of resume, it’s always better to give a short one page description of your contact details and skill set tailored to the job you are applying for. In the one page resume it’s good to have an online link to your detailed CV either as linkedin profile or resume created online medium such as responsivecv.com
It’s good to have your CV online and include a link on your resume which helps recruiter to get to know more about you in case they are interested.
Start Here : Create CV Online Now